Sigrogana is a host to a large number of fantasy races, but this page will focus on those that can be used by player characters. The playable races are broken down into six categories that will be described below. Generally speaking, all of the races listed are capable of integrating with society as they are intelligent and can communicate. Races that cannot are typically referred to as the monster races.
With a few exceptions, most of the races listed below can interbreed with one another.
A very prosperous race, they are much like what you'd expect. They are the most common race to find on Sigrogana and Gold, those being the most powerful human empires, but they pop up everywhere. Humans are mostly independent, following their own ambitions and sense of justice to wherever it leads them. The average human can expect a lifespan of around 80 years.
Human races are different from the other categories because they mostly determine where the character was raised rather than signifying anything concrete about them.
- Imperialist - Settling in Cellsvich or any of its surrounding territories, the imperialist lives at the heart of the Sigrogana Empire.
- Chataran - From the famed Chaturanga on Kysei, they are usually exposed to a form of elite education and are more likely to become soldiers or mercenaries.
- Karatynn - Having been exposed to magic all their lives in Karaten, this Kysein is well suited to it.
- Onigan - From the far east of Oniga, they are a touch swifter due to dealing with Gold's sands.
- Tannite - Tannis sits on the east coast of Sigrogana, near the Chinotoa Mountains, and is famed for its archers.
- Lispoolian - From the snowy landmass just northwest of Sigrogana's shores, Lispool is the heart of the Mercalan Faith.
A family known as the beast races, the Kaelensia resemble humans with some exceptions, typically carrying some animalistic physical traits, such as ears, tails, or wings. Named after an old word for 'golden', they possess striking golden eyes, originate from the southern continent of Egwyn, and are famously strong. The average Kaelensia can expect a lifespan of around 120 years.
- Lupine - Featuring wolf-like ears and tail, the Wolf tribe is known for its physical power and tenacity when cornered.
- Leporidae - A family of the human-like Kaelensia with hare-like features, including long, rabbit-like ears and strong legs.
- Corbie - Living in the tall trees of Egwyn's forests, they find the pair of bird wings they are born with to be quite useful. They prefer to avoid fights.
- Phenex - Followers of the great phoenix Helondis, these fiery-winged Kaelensia possess some of the powers of their patron.
- Felidae - Another of the 'true beasts', the Felidae are quick, graceful, and powerful, as one would expect from their cat ears and tail.
- Grimalkin - A rare sub-race of Felidae that possess a natural talent for magic. They are treated quite poorly due to their race's distrust for it.
The Corrupted Edit
A group of ex-humans who have been altered in some way by certain forces. Humans, not possessing a Patron Deity, are more vulnerable to Dark Zones and entities that can, for lack of a better word, corrupt them. Their status in society differs, but it is anything but equal to 'normal' folk. The average Corrupted can expect a lifespan of around 104 years.
- Umbral - A type of anomaly that doesn't affect only humans, Umbrals are created during Black Eclipses. They retain their physical appearance, although skin and hair color may pale. They also possess a black mark of differing design somewhere on their body, called 'The Mark'.
- Shaitan - An individual that has been corrupted by a Dark Zone, losing their sense of identity and mutate a black carapace on parts of their body, mainly their hands, which become covered in something like black claws. People are quite cautious of them, as they tend to be quick to violence.
- Oracle - Possessing blank, grey eyes, they have difficulty seeing far away, but are granted a gift; the ability to see visions of the future. Those that harness this gift are valued very highly as advisers and consultants.
- Papilion - Corrupted by the Deepwood in the Mechana Forest, these butterfly-winged "phantoms of the woods" possess knowledge of a magic that not even Karaten understands.
Ancients are races which predate human history. They were already established before humans made their empires, perhaps far longer. They do not have many similarities between them aside from this. Of the ancients, only the Zeran are known to succumb to old age; the average Zeran can expect a lifespan of 160 years.
- Vampire - Immortals who feed on the blood of mortals to survive, they have lived comfortably in the shadows of history, standing just offstage.
- Elf - Said to come from a paradise of peace called Mersales, Elves still venture out into the world sometimes. They possess extremely long lifespans and unending youth, something owed to Mersales itself, in legend.
- Zeran - The powerful natives of Alstalsia, they were long ago humans that sided with Zera, the rightful victor of Heaven's Contention. For their loyalty, they were granted power, a pair of horns, and an overwhelming sense of superiority to others.
- Lich - Not necessarily a race in the classic sense. Rather, they are those who have performed a dangerous and extremely difficult arcane pact to destroy their mortal bodies to become beings of pure arcane energy.
Humanoids which possess some blood of the divine serpents, hence the name, Serpentkind. Dragons, Wyverns, etc. are all very respected as highly intelligent and powerful beings, usually in a negative fashion (some see them as schemers and deceivers). Despite having some reptilian traits, Serpentkind races are not coldblooded.
- Glykin - The children of Glycon, they resemble humans and to a degree Wyverntouched. They have slitted eyes, as well as flecks of snake-like scales on some parts of their body, which causes many people to be distrusting of them, thinking them to be the infamous body-snatching snakes said to exist in legend. The average Glykin can expect a lifespan of around 160 years.
- Wyverntouched - The children of Wyverns, said to be conceived when a wyvern masquerades in human form. They are generally seen as a good omen, even if the wyvern's nature is unpredictable, and are easily identified by their serpent-like eyes and strong builds. The average Wyverntouched can expect a lifespan of around 96 years.
- Hyattr - A dragon-winged race with the destructive capabilities of their patron, Hyatt, though on a lesser scale. They are known for their potent fire-breathing abilities. The average Hyattr can expect a lifespan of around 144 years.
- Naga - The Naga are a female only half-human, half-snake hybrid race, with the upper body of a human. They originated from a dark ritual by the snakemen followers of Argentyle, who would kidnap women from the surface world. The details of the ritual are unknown, but these poor souls were kept prisoner in the Argentyle Caverns, used to breed more snakemen.
Races that do not fit with any of the above criteria are listed here.
- Mechanation - Artificial humans created by Karaten, they are living dolls with much untapped potential. They generally exist to fulfill some purpose, such as serving someone, or to take care of dangerous situations that one might consider 'too risky' for a normal person. Mechanations will not die of old age as long as they are properly maintained.
- Redtail - A scarce race sporting a pair of fox ears as well as a bushy tail, the Redtails as they are called have a certain allure to them, drawing the curiosity of other races. While they are often mistaken for Kaelensia, due to their ears and tail, those in the know recognize that Redtails do not always have golden eyes, nor do they hail from Egwyn. Redtails, indeed, come from all over, although are more commonly found in Oniga. The average redtail can expect a lifespan of around 120 years.
- Doriad - Spirits of nature that take on a human-like form, a Doriad's disposition is often determined by how the forest they were born from was treated. Doriads are not known to succumb to old age.
- Dullahan - Living armor, created by unknown circumstances with a strong, burning desire for existing. Dullahans are practically immortal, as long as their armor does not take significant damage.